Monday, September 17, 2012

Polishing Rocks

Got a bit behind on the blog... Here are a couple of updates! Polishing rocks! These are some septarian nodules (50-70 million year old cracked mud balls with calcite crystals grown into the cracks http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concretion#Septarian_concretions) that I found in canada in college on a trip with the geology club. I had them cut on site, but never got around to polishing them to make them really look nice. before: Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App after: Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App side-by-side: Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App surface prep disk, rubbing compound, and polishing compound, all applied with a little air powered die grinder. Finished with 3 coats nice polymer car "wax and shine" stuff. I'm quite happy with how they came out. They're not perfect, but for a couple hours of work with stuff I had on hand, I think they look great.

No comments:

Post a Comment